While winter seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a jingle at 402-438-7992. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Lincoln weather.