Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Lincoln, most of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be changed. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at AW Heating & Air Conditioning can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give AW Heating & Air Conditioning in Lincoln a call to get started. You can reach us at 402-318-5351 or schedule an appointment with us online.